Thursday, August 26, 2010

Surigao City LGU Allocates Bigger Chunk of Budget for Agri over Infra

Surigao City – The newly elected city mayor of Surigao Ernesto Matugas set a clear direction for the city to prioritize agriculture through allocating bigger chunk of budget from 20 percent development fund over infrastructure.

Probably first time in the whole country the local government unit (LGU) of Surigao will allocate 70% for agriculture and aquaculture while the remaining 30% will be for infrastructure taken from the 20% development fund of the city.

The amount is totally reverse from the previous administration which according to him allocated the 30% for agriculture while 70% for infrastructure.

“Bahala na mangasuko nako ang mga contractor kay 30 porseyinto lang ang maila, ang importante sa ako kamo mga mag-uuma ug mga mangingisda” (I don’t care contractors will got irked of me because only 30% are due to them, what is important to me are you, farmers and fisherfolks), he said boldly during a forum with the farmers.

Matugas said that under his administration the city of Surigao will embark more on food production.

Meanwhile, Matugas lauded the Department of Agriculture Regional Field Unit 13 through the Regional Agriculture and Fisheries Information Division (RAFID) for conducting University on the Air in the province of Surigao del Norte including Surigao City on Hybrid Rice Production.

During the mass enrollment held last July 13-15, 2010, Matugas notably the lone local chief executive who attended the activity said that giving an opportunity to the farmers to study rice production through a radio station is a great contributory factor towards the attainment of food sufficiency program of the government.

Regional Agriculture and F isheries Information Division (RAFID) OIC Rebecca Atega, was overwhelmed due to hundreds of farmers flocked during the mass enrollment that took place in Tagana-an, Placer, San Francisco and Bacuag in Surigao del Norte and in Surigao City and soon in Sison.

The University on the Air on Hybrid Rice Production, an advocacy program of RAFID will start August 4, 2010 and ends November 24, 2010 through farm casters Zenaida Peramide of Surigao del Norte Provincial Agriculture Office and Aurell Arais of RAFID DA-RFU 13. (Aurell P. Arais/ RAFID DA-CARAGA)


Monday, August 16, 2010

DA-CARIARC Hosts RDE Network 2nd Quarter Zonal Meeting 2010 Successfully

by: Aurell P. Arais

Trento, Agusan del Sur - The Caraga Integrated Agricultural Research Center of the Department of Agriculture Regional Field Unit 13 (DA-CARIARC) successfully hosted the 2nd Quarter Zonal Meeting of Mindanao Zonal Research Development and Extension (RDE) Network last June 23-25, 2010.

Supported by DA RFU 13, Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR) and Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) the three days zonal meeting was participated in by key research and extension personnel from region 9 led by Regional Technical Director (RTD) Constancio Alama, Region 10 led by RTD Lester Jaducana, Region 11 led by RTD Romulo Palcon, Region 12 led by RTD Jimmy Olivo and Caraga Region led by RTD Edgardo D. Dahino.

Also present were BFAR XI Director Jorge Campeon and BAR Coordinator for Caraga Engr. Rodolfo Fernandez.

During the opening program, Municipal Mayor Irenea Hitgano of Trento wherein CARIARC is situated, recognized the importance of R&D in agricultural development and shared her vision for farmers towards economic freedom that serves a driving force for her to write a book about natural farming system.

To update the participants on what are the latest; Salve Ritual, Chief of Research Coordination Division and Digna Sandoval, Chief of Technology Commercialization Unit of BAR reported BAR updates.

Presided by RTD Dahino and RTD Jaducana various agenda were tackled during the meeting proper including some plans and proposals.

The 2nd Quarter Zonal Meeting culminates with a field tour.

CARIARC Center Chief Wilfreda Maslog was so gratefully to all staff of DA RFU 13 headed by OIC Regional Executive Director Constancio C. Maghanoy, Jr.,for extending support and assistance that makes the hosting of DA-CARIARC of the meeting successful. (Aurell P. Arais/RAFID DA CARAGA)